As a UW employee, you will enjoy generous benefits and work/life programs. For detailed information on Benefits for this position, click here.
As a UW employee, you have a unique opportunity to change lives on our campuses, in our state and around the world. UW employees offer their boundless energy, creative problem solving skills and dedication to build stronger minds and a healthier world.
UW faculty and staff also enjoy outstanding benefits, professional growth opportunities and unique resources in an environment noted for diversity, intellectual excitement, artistic pursuits and natural beauty.
The Department of Radiation Oncology has an outstanding opportunity for a full-time Assistant Director of Operations.
The purpose of this position is to manage and oversee the operations in School of Medicine Radiation Oncology. This position structurally reports to the Vice Chair of Finance and Administration, and works directly with the Assistant Director of Grants and Contracts. Functional areas include supervision of the administrative support staff, facilities, process improvement and project management, department communications..
The Department of Radiation Oncology resides within the School of Medicine, and is also within the UW Medicine structure. The operations of the department are inherently complex due to the entities external to the University of Washington with whom we work, including Seattle Children's Hospital, University of Washington Physicians and Fred Hutch Cancer Center. This position must maximize process improvement and standard work flow for the administrative staff in the department to maintain excellent support to our faculty who have offices across a minimum of 6 facilities, some of which are outside of the UW system. Because we are located in such diverse locations, it is critical that we have a strong communication process, which is also a responsibility of this position as they will create and manage content on our website, the department Team page, and prepare routine communications from the Chair. Another component of this position is facilities oversight, which, in addition to overseeing any improvements, moves and remodels will require this position to have strong relationships with management in other institutions to secure office space for our faculty and staff.
Position Dimensions and Impact to the University:
The Assistant Director of Operations provides supervision of the administrative and program operations staff, department communications, oversight of facilities, back up for faculty clinical assignments using an electronic scheduling platform, records requests, and operational process improvement projects for the Department. Because of the broad ranging relationships our department has within UW Medicine, Fred Hutch Cancer Research Center, SCCA and national cancer research programs, this position is critical to maintaining a successful operation of the department.
* Create administrative policies and procedures to ensure the department is compliant and consistent with University policies.
* Review administrative SOPS and independently determine when and how they should be updated.
* Become expert in operational changes recommended to all SOM departments based upon UW Medicine and UW process and system changes.
* Collaborate with clinical leaders to improve administrative workflow and communications across all clinical sites.
* Drive process improvement initiatives to align research, clinical research, finance and operations within the department.
* Independently oversee and manage the administrative support staff and program support staff
* Act as expert of the different employment positions and policies and procedures consistent with those employee types. Look for process improvements and implement changes within the realm of administrative workflow and the policies/procedures within the department as it relates to HR functionality.
* Advise managers on HR policies and procedures.
* Conduct regular 1:1s with staff
* Create vacation and sick leave monitoring system and calendar to ensure adequate support for faculty at all times.
* Develop Standard Operation Procedures for staff responsibilities
* Ensure staff complete any required training on department systems such as QGenda, Epic and Microsoft Outlook tools.
* Organize monthly All Staff meetings
* Coordinate feedback for annual reviews and conduct annual staff reviews per University and Union requirements.
Communication Program (internal and external facing)
* Oversight of staff and vendors supporting the website
* Lead departmental efforts to develop content for website and ensure content is timely and up to date
* Collaborate with faculty to create and coordinate materials from medical and physics residency program to attract top applicants
* Prepare regular communications from the Department Chair throughout the department
* Develop process for updating and maintaining the department website pages
* Construct department annual report and coordinate activities of the contributors.
* Manage the department needs for assistance with facilities including remodel and renovation projects
* Lead the Department Space Committee. Provide information to the Chair & VCFA for assigning space to faculty/senior fellows/staff/visitors/student assistants based on funding priority and availability
* Provide back-up support for managing building access operations
* Provide back-up support for InVision facility database
* Anticipate future space requirements and suggest ways to create new space in current structure
* Represent the department at School of Medicine and University facility related meetings and workshops as needed
Programmatic Support to VCFA
* Prepare and transmit confidential and sensitive communication on behalf of VCFA and Chair
* Prepare presentation materials for the VCFA for use at local, national, and international meetings
* Back-up for provider scheduling system and call schedules (Qgenda)
* Develop and manage the onboarding process for UW employees requiring access to SCCA system and facilities
* Point of contact person for departmental record requests from Dean's office and other inquiries
* Oversee and supervise
* 3.0 FTE professional staff
* 2.0 FTE Classified union staff
* Bachelor's Degree in marketing and communications, finance or business or professional equivalent
* 4-5 years of progressively more responsible work
* Proficient with Microsoft office tools
* Experience working within a large complex organizational structure
* Experience in training or supervising others
* Excellent written and verbal communication skills
Equivalent education/experience will substitute for all minimum qualifications except when there are legal requirements, such as a license/certification/registration.
* At least 1 year of supervisory experience
* Experience within an academic medical center or school of medicine
CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT
* Periodically available for phone calls/meetings outside an 8 - 5 schedule
* Deadline-driven environment, occasionally requiring extended hours
* Complete Workday HR role trainings
The application process for UW positions may include completion of a variety of online assessments to obtain additional information that will be used in the evaluation process. These assessments may include Workforce Authorization, Cover Letter and/or others. Any assessments that you need to complete will appear on your screen as soon as you select "Apply to this position". Once you begin an assessment, it must be completed at that time; if you do not complete the assessment you will be prompted to do so the next time you access your "My Jobs" page. If you select to take it later, it will appear on your "My Jobs" page to take when you are ready. Please note that your application will not be reviewed, and you will not be considered for this position until all required assessments have been completed.
Applicants considered for this position will be required to disclose if they are the subject of any substantiated findings or current investigations related to sexual misconduct at their current employment and past employment. Disclosure is required under Washington state law.
Committed to attracting and retaining a diverse staff, the University of Washington will honor your experiences, perspectives and unique identity. Together, our community strives to create and maintain working and learning environments that are inclusive, equitable and welcoming.