Occidental is an international energy company with operations in the United States, Middle East, Latin America and Africa. We are the largest onshore oil producer in the U.S., including in the Permian Basin, and a leading offshore producer in the Gulf of Mexico. Our midstream and marketing segment provides flow assurance and maximizes the value of our oil and gas. Our chemical subsidiary OxyChem manufactures the building blocks for life-enhancing products. Our Oxy Low Carbon Ventures subsidiary is advancing leading-edge technologies and business solutions that economically grow our business while reducing emissions. We are committed to using our global leadership in carbon dioxide management to advance a lower-carbon world. Visit Oxy.com for more information.
Occidental strives to attract and retain talented employees by investing in their professional development and providing rewarding opportunities for personal growth. Our goal is to meet the highest employer standards by ensuring the health and safety of our employees, protecting the environment and positively impacting our communities where we do business.
Our greatest asset has been, and will continue to be, our people. We are looking for an experienced and motivated individual to fill the position of Drilling & Completions HSE Lead in our U.S. Onshore Resources & Carbon Management, Midland Basin Business Unit based in Houston, Texas.
This position is responsible for working with the Business Unit (BU) Drilling and Completions (D&C) group to assure optimization of Drilling and Completion HSE performance through evaluation of BU incident statistics, trends, analytics, and implementation of Oxy and industry standards, contractor management and development / execution of best practices. The D&C HSE Lead will build a D&C safety "FutureNow" roadmap to leverage technology, D&C workforce, and critical priorities to manage HSE in an efficient and best in class manner. The objective of the D&C HSE Lead is to support and strive for D&C's goal of an incident free operation for all employees and contractors involved in the project.
Roles and Responsibilities:
* Manage a team of Oxy employees and Drilling / Completions directly supervised contractors.
* Initiate the career discussion at the beginning of the year during performance goals setting or at the time hire, considering the employee's strengths, development areas, goals, and potential development opportunities.
* Provide employee with coaching, guidance, feedback, and support throughout the career discussion process.
* Partner with Human Resources to advise employees of assignments and technical or soft skills training that will further develop their Experience, Technical Competency, Communication, Sphere of Influence and Business Acumen.
* Set annual performance goals at the beginning of the year and conduct mid-year and year-end discussions as part of the performance management process.
* Set job expectations and performance goals aligned with the employee's grade using the competency maps.
* As appropriate, link the competency maps and employee job performance to Succession Planning.
* Ability to collect, organize and interpret data to predict incident trends
* Demonstrate a sound working knowledge of incident benchmarking
* Demonstrate Technical writing skills to create accurate documentation about D&C HSE products and services
* The ability to communicate complex ideas is a prerequisite for this position
* Demonstrates a sound working knowledge and regional approach to BBS observation interventions
* Establishes local and regional systems of KPIs / performance measurement for management teams
* Demonstrates a sound working knowledge of potable water concerns, some background in respiratory protection and ergonomics
* Demonstrates a sound working knowledge of federal, state, and local regulatory compliance, HSE policies, procedures and regulation interpretation
* Demonstrates a sound working knowledge of audit, management of IH/OH program implementation, health promotion, application of statistical & epidemiological tools for report development of incident and occupational disease investigation
* Demonstrates a sound working knowledge of identification, evaluation and control of health & industrial hygiene risks/hazards; safety principles, risk management, legal/regulatory/environmental issues related to general industry
* Ability to lead incident investigations using TapRooT® analysis software
* Limited supervision required
* Direct interaction with contractors developing safety improvement opportunities to drive contractor's performance to an Incident Free Operation
* Development of a D&C safety "FutureNow" roadmap to leverage technology, D&C workforce and critical priorities to manage HSE efficiently and effectively
* Utilize the Intelex BBS module to design and implement critical behavior checklists that target behavior intervention for high-risk tasks
* Identify data analytical trends and models to predict D&C incident precursors, and recommend action plans to address learnings
* Evaluate technological advances to better manage critical tasks with less human intervention, e.g., remote camera surveillance, drone usage, etc.
* Implement safety innovation programs for Oxy and Contractors, e.g., 'Build a Better Mousetrap' program to foster a culture of hazard identification and mitigation using 'outside the box' critical thinking
* Champion the Oxy 10 Life Saving Rules and ensure all rules are institutionalized across D&C operations
* Provide inspection and audit support of contractor safety programs (BBS, CFAs, OSS) and activities, as required.
* Collect and report on contractor drilling and completions incident statistics (leading/lagging).
* Support the Contractor SEMP Program and Oxy Champions for all D&C core contractors
* Assist in the organization and facilitation of, and attend, key peer assists, peer reviews, and risk assessments, as requested
* Assist, or lead, investigations of OSHA Recordable or PSI incidents, as requested
* Conduct periodic operations site visits and assessments
* Communicate global HSE standards/best practices to the BU drilling and completions group and contractors
* Keep current on processes and technologies that will help Oxy maintain a best-in-class position
* Provide orientation support for new hires
* Ensure policies, procedures, and processes are understood and followed in the BU drilling and completions group
* Assist in developing, revising department HSE PSPG's to ensure they are fit for purpose and current with regulatory requirements
* Assist Supply Chain in developing HSE scorecards contractor performance
* Participate in area industry safety groups, as applicable, e.g. IADC, AESC, ASSE, etc
* Regularly attend staff meetings/sessions to ensure the lines of communication remain open and aligned between operations / HSE and the field
* Bachelor's degree required in fire protection, safety, technology, engineering or other related field.
* 8-10 years of relevant experience in oil and gas and directly in a Drilling and Completions environment, and a working technical knowledge of Health, Environment and Safety experience.
Skills & Competencies:
* Demonstrated Leadership skills/experience
* Behavioral-Based Safety Concepts
* Excellent knowledge of industry life saving rules
* Working knowledge of Federal, State and Local Oil & Gas Regulations, IADC, API and other applicable regulatory bodies
* Knowledgeable Oxy OPC, OOG and BU HSE PSPGs
* Experienced with TapRooT® root cause analysis processes
* Bilingual languages - desired (Spanish)
* Thorough knowledge of company HSE Software (Intelex, SAP)
* Contractor Performance Management skills
* Teamwork skills
* Strong analytical and problem-solving capabilities
* Well Control knowledge and experience
* Knowledgeable of OSHA and Oxy safety policies/practices
Relocation: This position is not eligible for relocation.
Occidental does not offer sponsorship of employment-based nonimmigrant visa petitions for this role.
Occidental is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, marital status, political preference, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status, or disability status.