Summary of the position
Reporting to the CEO, the Executive Director, Human Resources will guide the development of the organization through its planned growth, cultivate a development-orientated culture heavily rooted in the Company's values (Competence, Commitment, Connection, Communication), create and enhance HR programs, guidelines and tools to deliver the highest level of candidate and employee experience. With a strong balance of business acumen and deep HR knowledge and experience, the Head of HR will ensure HR services are flawlessly delivered in an accurate and timely manner. The Head of HR is a member of the Executive Leadership Team (CEO's direct reports), Senior Management Team (~n-1), manages a very high-performing team of two FTEs and two contract HR team members as well as a variety of external vendors and resources. The role is based at the Company's SSF headquarters and is required onsite most days (flexible over the coming months due to the pandemic).
About Catalyst Biosciences, the Protease Medicines company
Catalyst is a research and clinical development biopharmaceutical company focused on addressing unmet medical needs in rare disorders of the complement and coagulation systems. Our protease engineering platform has generated two late-stage clinical programs, including MarzAA, a subcutaneously (SQ) administered next-generation engineered coagulation Factor VIIa (FVIIa) for the treatment of episodic bleeding in subjects with rare bleeding disorders. Our complement pipeline includes a pre-clinical C3-degrader program partnered with Biogen for dry age-related macular degeneration, an improved complement factor I protease for SQ replacement therapy in patients with CFI deficiency and C4b-degraders designed to target disorders of the classical complement pathway as well as other complement programs in development.
* Drive business results by creating and implementing best practice human resource initiatives tailored to business requirements and legal guidelines.
* Serve as thought partner, executive coach, advisor to CEO and executive team to ensure the people and organization strategy enables achieving the business results.
* Enhance and execute a Talent Acquisition strategy, including identifying resources to meet the Company's hiring needs.
* Champion an inclusive and diverse workforce, implementing programs to ensure the business develops and retains high quality talent at all levels in a continuous pipeline to support the growth objectives, opportunities and strategies of the business.
* Enhance and manage the compensation infrastructure for executive and non-executive cash and equity compensation.
* Act as coach/mentor/advocate for employees and managers; resolve employee relations issues and develop proactive solutions based on root-cause trend analysis.
* Identify and implement hard and soft skill training; ensure compliance training is delivered and monitored on timely basis.
* Oversee the HR function and manage the HR team.
* 15 years or more of progressively increasing responsibilities and experience within Human Resources.
* Prior experience scaling up a biotech or pharma company.
* Credible and savvy businessperson with history of quickly building credibility & trust with executives, leaders, and professionals; reputation for unquestioned personal and business integrity.
* Knowledgeable in leading edge HR practices & trends; a strong leader who influences change and transformation.
* Mission-driven individual with high energy, agility, and strong levels of perseverance; successful in fast-paced, dynamic, collaborative environments.
* Reputation for operating strategically and tactically; willing to do what it takes to drive results; strong attention to detail, not hindered by protocol or process or bureaucracy.
* Excellent verbal and written communication, interpersonal and influencing skills up, down and across the organization.
* Record of working independently without supervision; demonstration of exercising excellent judgment/decision making, at times without complete information.
* History of success working collaboratively across the organization and with diverse partners achieving corporate objectives.
* Bachelor's degree in industrial/organizational psychology, human resource management, business or a related field.
* Proficiency in Microsoft office.
Title/Level will commensurate with years of experience and education
In terms of the performance and personal competencies required for the position, we would highlight the following:
* The ability to create and articulate an inspiring vision for the organization, not only for the areas s/he is directly responsible for, but the Company as a whole.
* The inclination to seek and analyze data from a variety of sources to support decisions and to align others with the organization's overall strategy.
* An entrepreneurial and creative approach to developing new, innovative ideas that will stretch the organization and push the boundaries within the industry.
* The ability to effectively balance the desire and need for broad change with an understanding of how much change the organization is capable of handling, to create realistic goals and implementation plans that are achievable and successful.
Executing for results
* The ability to set clear and challenging goals while committing the organization to improved performance; tenacious and accountable in driving results.
* Comfortable with ambiguity and uncertainty; the ability to adapt nimbly and lead others through complex situations.
* A risk-taker who seeks data and input from others to foresee possible threats or unintended circumstances from decisions; someone who takes smart risks.
* A leader who is viewed by others as having a high degree of integrity and forethought in his/her approach to making decisions; the ability to act in a transparent and consistent manner while always taking into account what is best for the organization.
* The ability to attract and recruit top talent, motivate the team, delegate effectively, celebrate diversity, and manage performance; widely viewed as a strong developer of others.
* The ability to persevere in the face of challenges and exhibit a steadfast resolve and relentless commitment to higher standards, which commands respect from followers.
* A leader who is self-reflective and aware of his/her own limitations; leads by example and drives the organization's performance with an attitude of continuous improvement by being open to feedback and self-improvement.
Relationships and influence
* Naturally connects and builds strong relationships with others, demonstrating strong emotional intelligence and an ability to communicate clearly and persuasively.
* An ability to inspire trust and followership in others through compelling influence, powerful charisma, passion in his/her beliefs, and active drive.
* Encourages others to share the spotlight and visibly celebrates and supports the success of the team.
* Creates a sense of purpose/meaning for the team that generates followership beyond his/her own personality and engages others to the greater purpose for the organization as a whole.
* Firmly believes that both sustainability and profit are in the organization's best long-term interest.
* Integrates economic, societal and environmental factors into a purpose-driven strategy, turning sustainability into a competitive advantage.
* Understands and incorporates viewpoints from all key stakeholders to drive decision making and share the benefits.
* Delivers breakthrough innovations and business models that create value for all stakeholders, continually challenging traditional approaches.
* Sets audacious business and sustainability goals, driving concerted action and investments and stays the course in the face of setbacks or push-back from short-term oriented stakeholders.
Thank you for your interest in Catalyst Biosciences! You may apply for this position by sending your CV/resume to referencing requisition number (NU21-276) in the subject line.