With world attention on both the environment and the economy, Environmental Defense Fund (EDF) is where policymakers and business leaders turn for win-win solutions. By focusing on strong science, uncommon partnerships and market-based approaches, we tackle urgent threats with practical solutions. We are one of the world's largest environmental organizations, with more than two million members and a staff of approximately 700 scientists, economists, policy experts, and other professionals around the world. We operate in 22 geographies with unique projects running across four programs. You will be part of a vibrant workplace where innovation and results are a way of life.
EDF envisions a world in which people from all backgrounds and experiences feel connected to the environmental challenges we face and are engaged in creating durable, equitable solutions. We seek talented candidates who share our Core Values of Respect, Results, Innovation, Optimism, and Integrity, and support our Commitment to Diversity.
The Global Oil and Gas Economist will conduct and direct economic analysis to help shape EDF's International Methane policy positions and support its advocacy. This will include providing strategic input and content to guide planning and execution of EDF's International Methane advocacy efforts. EDF's International Methane work is focused on reducing global methane emissions from the oil and gas sector by 45% by 2025. The Global Oil and Gas Economist will work closely with Senior International Methane staff and focus on global oil and gas market developments relevant to EDFs advocacy to reduce methane emissions from the sector. This will include analysis of the evolution and regulation of oil and gas markets during a transition to net zero. Deliverables will include "in-house" analyses to guide staff and partners, original publishable research, as well as discussion papers aimed at policy makers, journalists, and the public at large. The Global Oil and Gas Economist could be based Brussels or remote in Europe including Russia and Norway, or possibly the New York or Washington D.C. offices. While focusing on the Global Methane work, the Global Oil and Gas Economist will be part of the Office of the Chief Economist (OCE) and the broader network of economists and policy experts that surrounds EDF's global climate and energy work. They will report to a Director and Lead Senior Economist in OCE, and will work with Global Methane staff, other economists, policy specialists and natural scientists throughout EDF. They may also have managerial responsibilities for consultants, project budgets and more junior staff.
* Working with Office of the Chief Economist staff, EDF Global Methane staff and collaborators to identify long-term global oil and gas market research and analysis needed to inform and support the organization's international methane advocacy
* Overseeing analyses and research projects conducted by other organizations for EDF (e.g., universities and outside contractors)
* Organizing workshops, meetings and seminars to convene relevant experts
* Interpreting, translating, and summarizing relevant global oil and gas market developments for EDF, partners and broader audiences (potentially including public communications, congressional testimony, Op-Eds, articles, and blog posts)
* Synthesizing research and its policy conclusions in policy briefs for EDF staff and external audiences
* Conducting original economic research on oil and gas markets and related topics relevant to EDF
* Working with EDF's development team, including communicating with donors and foundations and writing proposals to secure funding
* Participating in the development of public positions taken by Environmental Defense Fund
* Establishing, developing, and supporting connections between EDF and the academic and research community, public and other organizations in the field
* Representing EDF at public meetings including policy makers, academic conferences and workshops, gatherings of advocacy organizations, and the general public
* Mentoring junior EDF analytical staff
* Participates in advancing EDF DEI goals in which people from all backgrounds and experiences feel connected, included, and empowered to address the environmental and organizational challenges in alignment with EDF values.
* Other duties as assigned.
* Ph.D. in Economics or closely related discipline (e.g., Energy or Resource Economics or Public Policy)
* Deep knowledge of the global oil and gas sector, including global gas market dynamics and its major regional markets (particular focus on Canada, China, European Union, US, Russia, Japan, Korea)
* Solid understanding of gas market regulation in at least one of the above regional markets of interest and ability to quickly learn about regulations and regulatory approaches in the others
* Familiarity with the empirical and theoretical literature on regulatory economics, in particular with applications to gas markets.
* Proven well-developed collaborative skills with ability to manage staff and projects involving multiple people
* Experience from consultancy, government and/or gas industry an advantage
* Experience working in an interdisciplinary environment preferred
* Excellent written and oral communication skills
* Proven ability to conduct cutting-edge research
* Ability to clearly explain economic concepts to non-economists
* Ability to deploy a diversity of analytical approaches, theoretical and/or econometric studies to back-of-the-envelope analyses with keen attention to detail
* Creative thinker with self-direction and independence of mind
* Interest in relating economic research to real-world policy and in bridging the worlds of advocacy and academia
* Demonstrates self-awareness, cultural competency and inclusivity, and ability to work with colleagues and stakeholders across diverse cultures and backgrounds
* At least two years of experience working on gas markets, though more senior applicants are also strongly encouraged to apply
This role is a 2 year Fixed Term.
You must have the right to live and work in the EU or the US when applying.
This position will be located in Remote Europe including Russia and Norway, Brussels, Netherlands, Germany, New York City or Washington, D.C.
Environmental Defense Fund is an equal opportunity employer where an applicant's qualifications are considered without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other basis prohibited by law.