Requisition Number: 47458
Corning is one of the world's leading innovators in materials science. For more than 160 years, Corning has applied its unparalleled expertise in specialty glass, ceramics, and optical physics to develop products that have created new industries and transformed people's lives.
Corning succeeds through sustained investment in R&D, a unique combination of material and process innovation, and close collaboration with customers to solve tough technology challenges.
As a leading developer, manufacturer, and global supplier of scientific laboratory products for 100 years, Corning's Life Sciences segment collaborates with researchers seeking new approaches to increase efficiencies, reduce costs and compress timelines in the drug discovery process. Using unique expertise in the fields of materials science, surface science, optics, biochemistry and biology, the segment provides innovative solutions that improve productivity and enable breakthrough discoveries.
The purpose of this position is: Operates and maintains the Irradiator according to company policies and regulatory guidelines. Assists in product material handling, segregation, and distribution. Serves as Crew Lead for Shift's Irradiator Operations Team and point of contact for Security Related issues for the facility in absence of supervisor.
This position includes significant duties such as:
* Assists with the monitoring, detecting, assessing, and responding to unauthorized entry of Controlled, Restricted, and Secure areas of the facility on off hours.
* Monitors and documents scheduled safety and operational checks on the sterilizer and facility.
* Maintains Irradiator support systems equipment status log.
* Safely conducts operation of irradiator, internal/external conveyors, and all associated equipment.
* Performs preventive maintenance on all department equipment to ensure safe, efficient operations.
* Provides technical direction to Material Handlers for performance of preventive maintenance/error recovery.
* Assists in training identified personnel to qualify as Powered Industrial Truck operators.
* Diagnoses/Corrects sterilizer equipment malfunction and completes timely repair to minimize downtime.
* Oversees the compliance of safety requirements by visitors and non- departmental personnel.
* Operates and maintains all types of radiation monitoring equipment, specifically dosimeters and survey meters.
* Maintains radiation and contamination survey records pertaining to day to day operation of the irradiator and associated auxiliary systems.
* Performs special projects in the Irradiator Operations Department or other departments as required.
* Maintains compliance with established government and company safety regulations, environmental and emergency procedures, and Quality System Requirements.
* In the event of an emergency on off hours, works with Outside agencies (e.g., Sheriff's Department, Fire Department, etc.) responding to Sterilizer
* May be called upon to support Security Operations during Cobalt replenishment and Maintenance Shutdown periods, i.e., high radiation area guard, escort for individuals with no unescorted clearance such as riggers, etc., controlling traffic at street with sheriff's deputy, etc.
* Serves as night shift/weekend Subject Matter Expert for Temporary Access and abnormal scheduling of facility visitors and vendors.
* Adheres to plant safety requirements, OSHA and QSR/GMP/ISO guidelines as applicable.
Working Conditions: Somewhat disagreeable work conditions. Frequently lifts and/or moves objects up to 25 pounds, and occasionally up to 65 pounds. Exposure to fumes and high frequency noise in manufacturing areas. Exposure to ionizing radiation.
Education: High School Diploma or GED required. Associates Degree in a technical field preferred.
Experience: Minimum of 4 years combined education and experience required with automated equipment. Military equivalent experience to include four years engineering rating and documented completion of Naval Nuclear Propulsion Program graduate, qualified engineering laboratory technician or radiological controls technician, and four years extensive experience with troubleshooting and repair of pneumatic, hydraulic, and mechanical equipment.
We prohibit discrimination on the basis of race, color, gender, age, religion, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, disability, veteran status or any other legally protected status.
We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact us to request accommodation.
Nearest Major Market: Durham
Nearest Secondary Market: Raleigh