Oversee accounting and analysis functions for administrative expense. Ensure that the monthly close for EmblemHealth is performed timely, accurately and in accordance with generally accepted accounting principles (GAAP). Review and approve journal entries, account reconciliations and other analyses. Participate in the development and enhancement of internal controls over financial reporting and process improvements to streamline the monthly close process.
- Assist in managing the monthly administrative expense accounting close processes.
- Ensure that journal entries, account reconciliations and other analyses are prepared in a complete, accurate and timely manner and that financial information is recorded in accordance with GAAP.
- Identify and implement process improvements to achieve a (10) business day close and to ensure compliance with corporate policy and MAR controls.
- Streamline the close process through automation to eliminate manual processes and improve efficiencies. Collaborate with other corporate groups to identify and implement "best practices" in accounting, reporting and financial controls.
- Train, mentor, and support staff to ensure they possess the appropriate understanding of underlying transactions for journal entries recorded/accounts reconciled.
- Continue realignment of responsibilities and cross-training to address close-critical bottlenecks.
- Assist in the implementation of programs to enhance staff's skillsets and to further their professional development
- Assist in the coordination of certain close processes and the review of financial results with various other departments within the organization, including Financial Planning & Analytics, Human Resources, and Payroll.
- Collaborate with other corporate groups and serve as the Finance Liaison on all system initiatives involving administrative expense.
- Work directly with Budget Financial Analytics and IT to improve the accuracy and granularity of financial data in the general ledger to enhance analytics and reporting.
- Serve as a member of various work groups to assess changes in health care reform and other regulations and the impact on systems and reporting processes.
- Provide supporting financial analysis and other documentation to internal business partners; prepare documentation in support of financial statements for internal and external auditors, as well as for CMS, DOH and DFS audits.
- Bachelor's degree in Accounting required; MBA/MSA a plus.
- CPA a plus.
- 5 - 8 years of experience in finance and accounting environment required; two years of experience in public accounting a plus.
- Strong understanding of GAAP required
- Staff and process managerial/supervisory experience required
- Health insurance industry experience required
- Proficient in MS Office (Word, Excel, Access, Powerpoint, Outlook, Teams) required
- Experience with Oracle Cloud or similar financial software required
- Excellent communication skills (verbal, written, presentation, interpersonal) required