Do you want to re-write the rules of modern advertising?
Roku is changing how the world watches TV
Roku is the #1 TV streaming platform in the US, and we've set our sights on powering every television in the world. Roku pioneered streaming to the TV. Our mission is to be the TV streaming platform that connects the entire TV ecosystem. We connect consumers to the content they love, enable content publishers to build and monetize large audiences, and provide advertisers unique capabilities to engage consumers.
From your first day at Roku, you'll make a valuable - and valued - contribution. We're a fast-growing public company where no one is a bystander. We offer you the opportunity to delight millions of TV streamers worldwide while gaining meaningful experience across various disciplines.About The Team
A highly scalable, highly available, real-time advertising platform is critical to support and grow Roku's exploding ad business. It is the mission of the Ad Engineering Team to build this platform. We are hiring a Senior Software Engineer, Advertising Platform, to be a vital part of this mission. If you bring extensive experience building complex systems, love great technology at scale, enjoy mentoring, jumping in, and figuring things out in any system, this role is for you!About The Role
Roku pioneered TV streaming and continues to innovate and lead the industry. The Roku Channel has us well-positioned to help shape the future of streaming. Continued success relies on investing in Advertising Engineering.
The ideal candidate will have endless curiosity and can pair a global mindset with locally relevant execution. You should be a gritty problem solver and self-starter who can drive programs with the product and commercial teams within Roku and across external strategic partner organizations. The successful candidate will display a balance of hard and soft skills, including the ability to respond quickly to changing business needs.
What you'll be doing
- Work alongside a highly skilled engineering team to design, develop, and maintain large scale, highly performant, real-time applications.
- Own building features, driving directly with product and other engineering teams
- Demonstrate excellent communication skills in working with technical and non-technical audiences
- Be an evangelist for best practices across all functions - developers, QA, and infrastructure/ops
- Be an evangelist for platform innovation and reuse
- Deliver top-quality software in a timely fashion
We're excited if you have
- 7+ years of experience building large scale and low latency distributed systems.
- Command of Java or C++.
- Solid understanding of algorithms, data structures, performance optimization techniques, object-oriented programming, multi-threading, and real-time programming.
- Experience with distributed caching, SQL/NO SQL, and other databases is a plus.
- Experience with Big Data and cloud services such as AWS is a plus.
- Experience in advertising domain a big plus
- B.S. or M.S. degree in Computer Science, Engineering, or equivalent
The Roku culture
Roku is a great place for people who want to work in a fast-paced environment where everyone is focused on the company's success rather than their own. We try to surround ourselves with people who are great at their jobs, who are easy to work with, and who keep their egos in check. We appreciate a sense of humor. We believe a fewer number of very talented folks can do more for less cost than a larger number of less talented teams. We're independent thinkers with big ideas who act boldly, move fast and accomplish extraordinary things through collaboration and trust. In short, at Roku you'll be part of a company that's changing how the world watches TV.
We have a unique culture that we are proud of. We think of ourselves primarily as problem-solvers, which itself is a two-part idea. We come up with the solution, but the solution isn't real until it is built and delivered to the customer. That penchant for action gives us a pragmatic approach to innovation, one that has served us well since 2002.