Technical Director - Systems
Our world-class development team is in search of a Technical Director - Systems for Avatar: Pandora Rising, a mobile game in development. In this role, you will drive best in class engineering practices, establish technical standards and develop client systems related to rendering, performance, and art pipelines. You will help ensure that the game is meeting its performance targets while enabling the dev team to efficiently release content and features as well as contribute to one of the most visually ambitious mobile experiences ever.
Scopely is on a never-ending mission to create unforgettable games across multiple platforms. As part of Scopely's family, our Boundless Entertainment studio was built by passionate game makers dedicated to crafting playful, smart, and addictively fun experiences. We care about accessibility, depth, innovation, and production values… but most of all we care about our community of players. We don't just make games, we play and love them too, making player empathy a core value for all of us. You'll be working with some of the best developers in the world from hit games and franchises including Command & Conquer, Battle for Middle-earth, Empires and Allies, and Diablo.
What you will do:
- Manage / Mentor the engineering staff
- Take ownership of client systems areas including: rendering, performance, memory, storage, asset pipelines.
- Build and maintain tools to support performance and rendering improvements.
- Engage with other team leads in order to develop and maintain performance goals, technical roadmaps, etc.
- Break down system requirements and articulate them to other team members to help explain goals and distribute work.
- Facilitate and encourage the sharing of technical knowledge with the rest of the team and across the organization
What you will need:
- 5+ years game team leadership and people management
- Solid understanding of Unity3d's architecture
- Experience developing for iOS / Android
- Experience programming systems using C# and/or C++
- Strong CS fundamentals in data structures and algorithms
- Strong skills in trigonometry and vector math
- Solid debugging, optimization, and problem solving skills
- Understanding of hardware architecture and its impact on system design
- Deep knowledge of graphics pipelines and APIs
- Experience with AI/pathfinding, physics, animation, and audio
- Experience with build/test automation
- Understanding of client/server architectures
- Experience building games as a service
Scopely is a leading mobile games company home to many top-grossing, award-winning franchises including Scrabble® GO, MARVEL Strike Force, Star Trek™ Fleet Command, Looney Tunes™ World of Mayhem, WWE Champions, The Walking Dead: Road To Survival™, YAHTZEE® With Buddies and Wheel of Fortune®: Free Play, among others. Scopely creates rewarding, immersive games that empower a directed-by-consumer experience. Founded in 2011, Scopely is fueled by a world-class team and a proprietary technology platform that personalizes gameplay at scale across one of the most diversified portfolios in the west. Recognized in Fast Company's 'World's Most Innovative Companies' and #2 on Deloitte's 'Technology Fast 500' as one of the fastest-growing companies in North America, Scopely has achieved more than $1 billion in lifetime revenue by creating game experiences that are an important part of people's lives. Scopely has global operations in Los Angeles, Barcelona, Boulder, Dublin (DIGIT game studio), London and Tokyo, with additional studios in seven countries across four continents. For more information, visit scopely.com.
Scopely is committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, colour, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, family or parental status, gender identity, veteran, or disability status, or other protected status.
Candidate information will be treated in accordance with our candidate privacy notice which can be found here: